THE vagaries of trans-oceanic shipping and west coast labor relations weren’t kind to the new Simms Freestone Z wader.
Supplies of the wader were left sitting on the LA docks by a transport dispute which has meant this wader hasn’t received the kudos it probably deserves. The chassis of the wader is the highly rated 4-layer QuadraLam that is a staple of the Freestone wader range.
The addition of the (highly expensive) YKK Aquaseal waterproof front zipper is the magic touch, delivering that fast entry and exit from your Simms waders you have only been able to get for $800 up to now.
The nearest comparison I can draw is the genius of Waterwork’s Lamson’s Konic which took the magic of the company’s conical drag from the $400 models and stuck it in an affordable body. So now you get Simms design, manufacturing and backup in a zippered wader at half the price of the bells and whistles “McLaren” version
We are now stocked up across the size range (and in the redesigned better looking regular Freestone as well). Swing by the shop to check them out
Here is what Simms has to say:
Waders feature a rugged Toray® QuadraLam™ perimeter that breathes easy, repels water, and bushwhacks with aplomb. Guide-oriented architecture includes an easy-access YKK® Aquaseal waterproof front zipper for quick relief on the river.
Seek the sanctuary of fly box compatible fleece-lined handwarmer pockets secured with stormflap closures. Dual retractor docking stations on chest pockets keep tools intuitively in check via internal magnetic retainers.
And harness the range-maximizing benefits of patented front and back leg seam engineering for a comfortable, articulated fit. Simms’ best warranty in wading comes standard.
- Featuring a YKK® Aquaseal waterproof center front zipper that offers easy access and quick relief on the river
- 2 large fleece lined handwarmer pockets secured with stormflap closures, large enough to store fly boxes
- Patented front and back leg seam design offers an articulated fit for maximum mobility and comfort
- Adjustable 1.5” elastic suspenders with opposing YKK® buckles to create a waist high conversion on the river
- Dual retractor docking stations on the chest pockets feature internal magnetic retainers for tool retention
FABRIC TECH: 4-layer Toray® QuadraLam™ Waterproof/Breathable Wader Laminate